50th Anniversary of Onoe Ryu Dance Concert
scene from Nagauta “SENKITAI”
Onoe Kikunojyo II (left), Nakamura Tomijuro (right)
Onoe Kikunojyo II (now Onoe Bokusetsu)
Onoe Kikunojyo II was the Third Headmaster of the Onoe School of Dance located in Tokyo, Japan from 1964-2011. In August of 2011, he took the name Onoe Bokusetsu upon the appointment of Onoe Seifu as Onoe Kikunojyo III, the Fourth Headmaster of the Onoe School of Dance.
The legacy of Onoe Kikunojyo II:
- 1943 Born in Tokyo on April 6. Began formal study of Japanese dance at the age of nine under the tutelage of Onoe Kikunojyo I, Second Headmaster, School of Onoe Ryu Dance.
- 1964 At the age of 21, succeeded Onoe Kikunojyo I in December as the Third Headmaster, School of Onoe Ryu Dance; this following the passing of his mentor (Onoe Kikunojyo I) in August and continued study with Fujima Kanjuro VI in October.
- 1965 Performesd Tokyo premiere as Onoe Kikunojyo II at the Shinbashi Enbujo in February. Accepted appointment as choreographer in residence for the Shinbashi “AZUMA ODORI” in Tokyo.
- 1966 Graduated from Aoyamagakuin University.
Accepted appointment as choreographer in residence for “KAMOGAWA ODORI” in Kyoto.
- 1968 Performed Osaka premiere as Onoe Kikunojyo II at the Shinkabukiza in September.
- 1969 Performed “SANNINKAI” with Nishikawa Sakon and Nishikawa Ukon at the Kabukiza.
- 1970 Accepted appointment as choreographer in residence for “HANAWAI ODORI” in Kobe.
- 1971 Established the “Kikunojyo NO KAI” Onoe Ryu Dance Company in October at the Nissei Gekijo.
- 1972 Accepted appointment as choreographer in residence for : “OSAKA ODORI” in Osaka.
- 1973 In conjunction with Onoe Kikugoro VII, established “YOKIKOTO KAI” at Kokuritu Gekijo..
- 1984 At the age of 41, performed at Kokuritu Geikijo the “KOYOKAI” sequel to “ONOEKAI” previously performed by his predecessor Onoe Kikunojyo I.
- 1986 Established the “TOUKAKAI” semi-annual dance concert series in July at ABC Hall.
- 1990 Choreographed the Onoe Baiko production of “KACYOFUGETSUSAI” performed at the International Flower Exposition of Osaka” in April.
- 1992 Choreographed the Onoe Baiko production at the “International Exposition” in Spanish Seville.
- 1993 Performed and choreographed “CYOCYUGIGA” at the 10th “SOSAKUBUYOGEKIJO”.
- 1995 Choreographed a program of Japanese classical dance for an international performing arts exchange in Lithuania.
- 1997 Choreographed the kabuki production of “NININ WANKYU” performed in Paris, France in December; the first time an official choreographer accompanied the overseas production of kabuki.
- 1998 Commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Onoe Ryu Dance with an “ONOEKAI” concert at the Shinbashi Enbujo in July.
- 1999 Performed “FUTARIKAI”, a Japanese dance-classical music collaboration, with internationally renown cellist Hayachi Mineo at the Kioi Concert Hall in November.
- Awards: 2d Hanayagi Jyuo Prize (Best new performing artist)
11th Matsuo Public Entertainment Prize
22d Dance Critic Society Prize
- Positions: Director, Japanese Dance Society, Inc.
For more information on the legacy and artistry of Onoe Kikunojyo II, please read from the links to the right.